Lettuce wraps are a terrific, healthy lunch or dinner option and is one the whole family will love. Who knew it would be this easy to recreate a restaurant favorite at home?
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 3 tablespoons hoison sauce
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into small, bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained and slivered
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced, plus additional for serving
- Large butter lettuce leaves, separated and rinsed
- 1 cup cooked white rice, for serving
- Sesame seeds, for serving
Whisk together hoison sauce, soy sauce, vinegar and 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a small bowl and set aside.
Heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and cook for an additional 30 seconds. Add chicken and cook until nearly cooked though, about 5 minutes.
Pour sauce into skillet and increase heat to medium-high. Cook until sauce has reduced by half and chicken is fully cooked. Stir in water chestnuts and green onions.
To serve, spoon desired amount of rice into lettuce leaf. Top with a scoop of chicken and sprinkle with sesame seeds and additional green onion.
ORANGE & FIELD TIP: If you like a little heat, add a tablespoon or two of Sriracha.