Carrot cake is one of those go-to desserts that’s a favorite for so many. Ours is light, fluffy and delightfully spiced and the homemade cream cheese frosting is the perfect final touch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar packed
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract divided
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 cups carrots finely grated
- 3 cups chopped walnuts divided
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 12 ounces cream cheese partially softened
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- For cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare two 9-inch round cake pans by spraying with cooking spray and lightly dusting with flour.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, ginger, nutmeg and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together oil, granulated sugar, brown sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla and eggs with a mixer on high speed. Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and continue beating until combined. Add carrots, 1 cup walnuts and coconut and and mix with spoon until well incorporated.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of each comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For frosting: In a large bowl, cream together cream cheese and butter with a mixer on high speed until smooth. With mixer running, slowly add powdered sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla. Whip until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Place one layer of cake on serving plater and frost top with desired amount of frosting. Place second layer on top and frost top and sides with remaining frosting. If desired, pat sides and top edge of cake with remaining 2 cups walnuts. Happy eating, friends!