We always have some form of cranberry sauce on the table at Thanksgiving. This irresistible cranberry chutney is a delicious alternative to the more traditional Thanksgiving standard.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 19 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup red onion, diced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 14 ounce can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 15 ounce can mandarin oranges, drained
Heat olive oil in medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes.
Add vinegar and brown sugar and cook until sugar dissolves, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in dried cranberries, ginger, salt, pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg. Cook until cranberries have softened, about 5 minutes.
Add cranberry sauce and cook an additional 5 minutes. Add mandarin oranges and cook 1-2 minutes, ensuring oranges don’t become mushy.
ORANGE & FIELD TIP: Fresh cranberries can be used in place of the dried cranberries.