When the temperature outside feels like a million degrees, use your blender to create this refreshing cold soup. It’s a Spanish classic.
Prep time: 30 minutes
- 3 pounds roma or plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups crustless bread, torn into pieces
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus additional for garnish
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Croutons, for garnishing
Place the bread in a small bowl with approximately 1/4 cup of water and set aside to soak.
Put the tomatoes, cucumber, yellow onion, bell peppers, garlic cloves, bread and sherry vinegar into a blender (working in batches, if necessary) and blend until very smooth. With the blender running, slowly add the extra-virgin olive oil, blending until emulsified. Pour the gazpacho into a bowl and refrigerate until well chilled.
Prior to serving, taste the gazpacho and add salt and pepper, to taste. Pour into bowls and garnish with additional extra-virgin olive oil and croutons.
ORANGE & FIELD TIP: The longer the gazpacho chills in the refrigerator, the better the flavor will be.