One of our favorite breakfast restaurants used to have an amazing cheesy bacon grits and we were devastated when we learned they no longer served it. The solution? Create our own version at home using our handy, dandy Instant Pot.
INSTANT POT BACON & CHEDDAR GRITS
- 8 strips bacon chopped
- 1 cup regular grits
- 1 cup milk
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 8 ounces mild cheddar cheese shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste, optional
- Turn your Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker on to sauté.
- Add bacon to Instant Pot and cook until all pieces are browned, about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off sauté function. Transfer bacon to paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.
- Remove bacon grease from Instant Pot. Add grits and stir for a few seconds. Pour 3 cups water into Instant Pot and use spoon to break up any brown bits stuck to bottom. Add milk and stir to combine. Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place, making sure the valve is set to seal. Set to cook on high pressure for 10 minutes.
- Let pressure naturally release for 10-15 minutes then carefully open the pressure release valve (quick release). Remove lid. Stir grits, breaking up lumps with back of spoon. Stir in cream cheese until melted. Add cheddar cheese and stir well to combine. Add bacon, reserving 2-3 tablespoons for garnishing. Let sit for 5 minutes prior to serving. Garnish with reserved bacon. Salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Happy eating, friends!