One of Howard’s favorite childhood meals was his mom’s chicken and rice. We’ve taken that delicious (and healthy) recipe and modified it for one of our favorite kitchen small appliances – the Instant Pot.
Prep time: 20 minute
Cook time: 41 minutes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon plus pinch ground black pepper, divided
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sweet peas
Turn your Instant Pot or other electric pressure cooker on to sauté.
Pour 1 tablespoon olive oil into Instant Pot. Add chicken and season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pinch of pepper. Cook chicken until no longer pink then transfer to bowl, about 3 minutes. Set aside.
Pour 1/2 tablespoon olive oil into Instant Pot. Add onion and carrots and cook until translucent and softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, rice, Dijon mustard, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, paprika, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook for 1 minute. Turn off sauté function.
Pour in chicken broth and scrape down sides to ensure all rice and vegetables are in broth. Spread into a flat layer. Sprinkle peas on top of vegetables and rice. Return chicken to Instant pot in a single layer on top of peas. Place lid on Instant Pot and lock into place, making sure the valve is set to seal. Set to cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
Let pressure naturally release for 12 minutes then carefully open the pressure release valve (quick release). Remove lid and stir well prior to serving.
ORANGE & FIELD TIP: While this recipe is easy to prepare, we suggest having all ingredients chopped and prepped prior to starting.