There’s no better way to celebrate the fall season than with a slice (or four) of pumpkin bread. Our version is moist, delectable and practically screams fall.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Servings: 6-8 per loaf
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature, lightly beaten
- 15 ounces pure pumpkin puree
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Sprinkling sugar, for garnishing (optional)
- Mere’s Toast Spread, for serving (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Prepare two 9-by-5 inch baking pans by lining them with parchment paper or buttering and flouring them.
In a large bowl, whisk together granulated sugar, dark brown sugar and butter. Add eggs and pumpkin puree and whisk well.
In another large bowl, combine all-purpose flour, kosher salt, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, ginger, cinnamon and cloves.
Add 1/3 of dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and stir to combine. Repeat until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Add buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix well.
Divide batter between prepared loaf pans. Garnish with sprinkling sugar, if desired. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of loaves comes out clean and loaves are golden brown, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Remove from loaf pan and allow to cool completely. Serve with Mere’s Toast Spread, if desired.
ORANGE & FIELD TIP: Pumpkin bread would also be fantastic topped with nuts or raw pumpkin seeds, as well.